Today is my Grandfather Canally's birthday. He was a great man in my eye's. He passed away on March 15, 2012 at the age of 80 something (the ages of my maternal grandparents is practically a national secret!). My Grandfather (whom we called Pop-Pop) was the biggest and most devoted Notre Dame fan to ever live. He had Notre Dame hats, caps, gloves, socks, jackets, shirts, pajamas, blankets, and everything else possible. Every year on Christmas Eve he would read us the book 'Twas the night before Christmas'. He of course altered the text a little more to his Irish Language (in other words he would use a couple of swears, but that was almost his trademark). I can still hear his voice reading the story, at the end when Santa says "to all a goodnight" He ads all of our names and the names of the teletubbies' names (because I rather enjoyed them when I was a child). I will really miss that Christmas tradition. He was not only my grandfather but my godfather as well. I guess nobody would really understand what kind of a person he was unless they knew him well. He was one of those people who would seem to be a grouchy old man when you first met him, but eventually you'd begin to see the soft, loving, caring, and lovable man he really was.
I miss him too. "give me a break!!!!!"
ReplyDelete